Photo by Andrea O'Neill, taken from Instragram. Recipe by Tony O'Neill.
I love to make this dish in bulk and then just portion it into containers and freeze. It is very handy to have on hand and eats well with rice, rolled in a tortilla with mexican rice for an amazing burrito, over nachos with grilled cheese or served in a baked sweet potato. Or simply create your own favourite.
- Broighter Gold Rapeseed Oil/chilli rapeseed oil
- 1 kg beef pieces
- 1 onion diced
- 2 carrots diced
- 4 cloves garlic crushed
- 200ml red wine
- 1 tsp dried oregano
- 1 tbsp smoked chipotle flakes
- 2 tbsp smoked paprika
- 1 tbsp tomato paste
- 1 tin chopped tomatoes
- 4 nespresso pods (espresso shots)
- 500ml chicken stock
- 1 tin kidney beans drained and rinsed
- 2 Birdseyes chillies chopped (optional or just have your Broighter Gold Chilli oil to hand, and pour over for extra heat!)
- Salt and Pepper
- Preheat the oven to 150oc
- Place an oven proof casserole pan over a medium eat and add a little oil. Add the onions, carrots and garlic and cook until cooked through and just starting to colour.
- Place a large frying pan over high heat. Season the beef pieces with salt and pepper and start frying in the large pan in batches.
- When the batches are browned all over add to the onion mixture in the casserole pan. Continue until all of the beef has been browned.
- As you cook the last batch of beef add the red wine and reduce by half, pour into the casserole plan.
- Add the oregano, smoked chipotle flakes and smoked paprika. Cook for a minute or two just to release the flavours. Add the reminaing ingredients, and bring to the boil (add the chillis if you want it really hot).
- Cook in a preheated oven for 3 hours.
- Remove from the oven, season to taste and serve whichever way tickles your taste buds!