Spiced Plum and Ale Chutney by Paula McIntyre MBE
- 1.5 kg plums, stoned and chopped ( pour a glass of wine!)
- 1 onion, finely chopped
- 50g grated root ginger
- 2 tablespoons Broighter Gold Thai oil
- 1 tablespoon mustard seeds
- 1 teaspoon smoked paprika
- 1 teaspoon allspice
- Pinch ground clove
- 200ml cider vinegar ( I used Long Meadow)
- 200ml ale ( I used Hills town Henrietta Hen)
- 500g soft brown sugar
- Cook the onion and ginger in the oil until soft.
- Add the spices and cook for a minute.
- Add the plums, sugar, ale and vinegar.
- Boil for about half and hour.
- Pot into sterilised jars and seal.
Lovely served with cheese, pork, ham or duck.