Our Lemon and Poppy Seed cake, is a firm favourite with our tours. This cake is so moist, and it is very easy to change the recipe to make it Gluten Free.
- 2 lemons
- 225g soft butter or baking spread
- 225g caster sugar
- 275g self raising flour (can be replaced with gluten free self raising flour)
- 2 level teaspoons baking powder. (omit for gluten free option)
- 4 eggs
- 2 tbsp milk
- 2 tbsp Broighter Gold Lemon oil
- 25g poppy seeds
- 3 tbsp lemon juice (approx)
- 225g sifted icing sugar
1. Preheat oven to 180 degrees/ 160 degrees fan oven. Grease and line tin 30 cm x 23 cm x 4 cm.
2. Remove the zest from one of the lemons and set aside for topping. Finely grate zest from other lemon. Measure all ingredients into a large bowl, add finely grated lemon zest and mix for 2 minutes or until well blended.
3. Turn mixture into tin and level the mixture.
4. Bake for 35-40 minutes or until the cake begins shrinking from the sides and is springy to the touch. Leave to cool in the tin. Turn out and remove paper when cool.
5. For the icing, mix together the lemon juice and sifted icing sugar. Spread out evenly over the cake and sprinkle with the reserved lemon zest. Leave to set.
6. Cut into squares to serve.