Beef Brisket from Hannan Meats is one of my favourite dishes when I invite friends around for dinner. It's handy, can be prepared in advance, and all you have to do is share it out and let everyone grab their own plates!
- 1 kg Beef Brisket (feeds approximately 6/7 people)
- 25ml Broighter Gold Hickory Smoked Rapeseed Oil
- Salt and pepper
- Take the meat out of the plastic wrapper and dry off. I normally place on a plate and drizzle with hickory smoked oil about 10ml on each side, and season well with salt and pepper.
- Using a very hot tray or large frying pan. Seal the meat, you don't need to add any extra oil as the meat already has the oil on it. Seal both sides of your meat.
- Place the meat into a large casserole dish or if you want less dishes, just use the tray you cooked it in.
- Make sure it is deep enough. Grab a glass and I cover my meat half way up with water to keep it really moist. Wrap with tinfoil and cook at a high temperature Gas mark 7 ie 220 degrees for 2 hours. ie 8am-10am
- Then after two hours check your meat and turn it over, place the meat back into the oven (covered still), and cook at a low temperature Gas mark 1 or 150 degrees. I would then slow cook it for 6 hours. I usually have it ready for 6.30pm.
- Keep your juice from the meat as stock to make your gravy
- In a small dish add cold water, and 1 tsp plain flour - mix together until it forms a smooth liquid.
- Pour this into your stock, and stir
- Add 1 tsp of redcurrant jelly for added flavour!
- If you prefer something stronger you could add 1 tsp of Bisto (but up to you).
Serve with balsamic onions, large soft bap and side salad!