This is my go to recipe when I am having friends or family over to visit. It is so simple to make. I use two x 1lb loaf tins and the paper liners that you get for the tins are fab - saves cutting and time for me!
- 12oz Course Wholemeal Flour
- 8oz Medium Wholemeal Flour (or 4oz of Medium Flour and 4oz of Wheatgerm)
- 4oz Plain Flour
- 3tsp Baking soda
- 2tsp Salt
- 2oz Brown sugar/Caster Sugar
- 3tbsp Broighter Gold Rapeseed Oil
- 1 pint Buttermilk
- Mix all dry ingredients into a bowl, and to make sure and break down the little clumps if using brown sugar!
- Add the Broighter gold rapeseed oil to your bowl.
- Add the buttermilk slowly, a little at a time, but keep stirring until you end up with all your ingredients mixed with the milk. If it is very thick add a little water into your milk carton, shake and then stir into your mixture.
- Get 2 x 1lb loaf tins and add the paper liners, split your mixture between both tins.
Don't push your mixture into the tin, just pour and it should run into the sides by itself. If not, just give it a tap in each side and it should shape up well.
Preheat your oven to 190 degrees I use a fan oven, so adjust your temp to suit your oven. Bake for 35 mins and then check your bread with a skewer if it comes our clean your bread is cooked.(otherwise leave for another 5 mins) Remove from the oven, place on a cooling wire rack - I cover with a tea-towel until cool enough to place into a plastic bag.