- 2 eating apples
- 250g spelt flour (or you can use plain flour)
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 2 tsp ground cinnamon
- 125g light brown sugar (plus extra for sprinkling)
- 125ml honey
- 60ml natural yogurt
- 125ml Broighter Gold Rapeseed Oil
- 2 eggs
- 75g unblanched almonds (Do not add if nut allergy!)
- Heat oven to 200c/180c fan/gas 6
- Peel the apples and then cut into small 1cm cubes. Weigh out flour, baking powder and a teaspoon of cinnamon into a bowl. In a separate bowl measure out the brown sugar, honey, yogurt, rapeseed oil and eggs - mix together.
- Chop the almonds and add half to the flour and pop the other half in another small bowl. Add a teaspoon of cinnamon and 4 teaspoons of sugar to the small bowl of almonds...this is the topping for sprinkling on the muffins.
- Pour the wet ingredients into the dry and then fold gently. Next add the chopped apple and combine. Divide the batter between the 12 muffin cases and then sprinkle the almond, sugar and cinnamon topping over each one.
- Bake for around 20 minutes. The finished product should be risen and golden. Once removed from the oven leave in the tin for 5 minutes before transferring the muffins to a cooling rack. Enjoy!