- 1 tbsp rapeseed oil
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 800g fresh tomatoes, roughly chopped
- 1 litre chicken or vegetable stock
- 4 medium slices wholemeal bread
- 1 x 25g pack basil
- Heat the oil in a large saucepan and fry the onion for 5 minutes. Add the tomatoes, cover and cook for a further 5 minutes. Stir in the stock, bring to the boil. Roughly tear up the bread and add to the soup. Simmer for 5 minutes.
- Add the basil and purée with a hand blender or food processor. Season to taste.
Ideal for freezing, defrost before reheating. Try adding some smoked back bacon with the onion for extra flavour. Ideal served chilled in summer.