- 1 whole Silver Hill duck
- Leg and thigh
- 500ml Broighter Gold rapeseed oil
- Aromatics: 10g rock salt, 2 cloves garlic, 5g peppercorns, 1 x bayleaf, 1 x star anise, 1 tsp thyme, 1 tsp rosemary, 50g Cep mushrooms, 50g spinach, 50g shallot, jus
- 200g Plain flour
- 100g soft butter
- 75ml water
- 2g salt
- 200g Duck livers
- 100ml double cream
- 1 egg
- 10ml of each Brandy, Port, Madeira, ½ garlic clove
- 200g Clarified butter
- Fleur de sel, milled pepper
- 100g celeriac
- 35ml milk, 35ml cream, salt, pepper
- 50 gr barley
- 1 shallot, 20 nettle leaves, 4 hazelnuts
- 100ml chicken stock
- 25g butter
- 50g cream cheese
- 25g whipped cream
- Salt, pepper
- 2 x turnip ( crescent moon)
- 2 x baby carrots
- 2x Baby leek
- 2x Parsnip circle
- 100g or 2 medium Potatoes
- 100ml Chicken stock
- 50gr Butter, salt & pepper
- 50ml jus, 1/2 Liquorice stick
- To prepare the duck - remove duck breasts, trim, score and reserve for cooking later. Next remove duck leg and thigh, remove sinew, coat in rock salt and refrigerate for 24 hrs. Then wash off salt, pat dry, dry fry to develop colour on the skin and place in a casserole dish with aromatics and cook in the oven for 1 ½ hrs. at 150C. Once cooked remove, and allow to cool in the oil. Strip meat from the bone and use in step 3.
- To prepare parfait - blend duck livers, add whole egg, then alcohol, cream, fleur de sel and milled pepper, next add clarified (room temperature), then pass through fine chinos into terrine and cook in a bain-marie at 130c for 40 min.
- To prepare pie - mix confit meat with fried shallot, ceps and spinach, add a little jus to bind, season and fill pre-prepared pie moulds. Brush with egg yolk and cream and bake for 15 min. at 180 oc.
- To prepare barley pilaff - pre-soak barley, wash nettles three times (remember to use gloves) and blanch and reserve. Dry roast hazelnut, skin and slice thinly on mandolin reserve. Sweat shallot in butter, add drained barley, gradually add chicken stock until just cooked, then incorporate, nettles, hazelnuts, cream cheese and whipped cream, check seasoning.
- To make celeriac puree- place celeriac in milk & cream and cook until tender, puree and pass through fine sieve, season to taste.
- To prepare potatoes- wash, peel, rewash and reshape, colour on butter and add stock and cook slowly, basting frequently season as required.
- To prepare glazed vegetables- wash, peel, & rewash, shape as required, cook al dente, to finish warm in some stock and butter and season to taste.
- To cook duck breast- heat small frying pan without oil, add duck breasts, seal fat side down to develop, add star anise to pan and baste, turn and seal other side. Roast for 8 min. at 180 oc, remove and allow to rest.
- To serve- place pilaff to one side, stack vegetables & fondants, place pie to one side, quenelle parfait, slice duck, drizzle liquorice jus and split with Broighter Gold Rapeseed Oil.
Chef John Crowe from NWRC.